Monday, June 8, 2009

A Day at the Beach.

Today was suppose to be another sunny day in the NW, so I thought it might be a nice day to hang out at the beach. So, I rode the motorcycle to Westport on the Washington coast. According to Ms. Tom Tom(the GPS), it is about 108 miles from my home to Westport.

I left a bit later than planned at about 0800. It was a little cold in Bremerton and as far as Shelton. No problem, I turned the hand grip heaters on low and all was well. It was a sunny ride the whole way down and back. It was a little warm on the way back with the leather jacket and pants.

Westport is really quiet now. In a month it should be jumping. Probably more activity on the weekends too. The harbor is pretty empty and a lot of the stores and eaterys were closed. I did find one restaurant opened and had a lunch of fish and chips.

Rode out to the ocean south of the south jetty. There were a few surfers trying to catch waves, but it was pretty calm. Walked the path along the ocean. It was pleasant in the sun with only a light breeze blowing.

I remember one summer in the mid 60's when my dad and I camped out in the parking lot behind the stores in a homebuilt camper for two weeks. He had an old 18foot boat with a small inboard engine and we went commercial fishing for salmon in it. Had a few exciting crossings of the bar that summer!

On the ride home, I took the backroads to Shelton and to Alderbrook Inn on the Hood Canal south shore. Little longer, but worth the effort.

Trip Odometer: 231.2 miles


The quiet boat harbor and streets of Westport, WA.

The South Jetty. Ocean Beaches on the left and the Grays Harbor Bar on the right.

5 comments:

Paige and Dave said...

There are many retirees and would-be retirees who could Learn from your example. Keep up the good (well can't call it work) just keep it up.

Dan said...

Thanks. I don't know how much I am teaching. I try to encourage one would-be retiree, but he won't set his date. And a Syard worker is trying to get me to help with his mentoring program. That would be a hoot: "Just put in your time until you can retire!"

Let me know if you would like to get together some time (if you have time) when you get back to Bremerton.

Paige and Dave said...

We'll be back on the Thursday; be glad to get together. Dave

Anonymous said...

Westport seems to have changed quite a bit over the years. Where did you take the photo from of the harbor?

An 18 foot boat crossing the bar, that would cause some excitement at times!!

Dan said...

I took the photo from a three story observation platform at the west end of the main street. Looking west, you can look straight out at the bar.

Westport seems to be trying to expand to attract a more wealthy clientale. There is a new golf course going in next to the ocean with a large condo complex already finished. Not like the "old" days when it was a commercial and charter boat fishing center. Some of the charters boat companies still operate, but the catch is differant now. Fewer salmon runs and more cod/halibut and tuna trips. There were some commercial boats at the packers, but did not see any activity.