Friday, June 19, 2009

Ride Around The Olympic Peninsula-Part 1

This week I decided to take a motorcycle trip. There was a few more days of dry weather predicted before the rain was suppose to start. Still a chance of getting wet as the rain was suppose to start a day earlier on the coast. This was planned to be a ride to Lake Ozette, camp out one night, hike the 9.3 mile loop to the ocean, camp out another night at Lake Ozette, ride to Sol Duc Campground in the Olympics, camp out another night and then come home.

On Monday, I got underway around 0730 and rode across the Hood Canal Floating bridge and northwest on highway 104. This took me through Sequim and Port Angeles. It was a nice day for a ride. Clear, but a little cool, but the heated grips kept my hands toasty warm!

After Port Angeles, I exited right and rode the old highway through Joyce to Clallam Bay and Sekiu. This road was rough and winding. Since I am not much of a motorcyclist(I only own a motorcycle), I took it easy on the corners. I stopped at Salt Creek Campground for a short rest. Thought about stopping to camp. It was nearly empty.

The last time I went to Lake Ozette, the road from Sekiu to Lake Ozette was gravel for the last several miles. It is paved all the way now, but is still winding and rough.

The campground was nearly empty, so I picked out one of the 15 sites and set up camp. It has been quite a few years since I have camped there. It is in a lot nicer condition than what I remembered, although it is still pretty primative. The evening was pleasant and once during the night, the clouds cleared and the stars were spectacular.

Salt Creek Campground, looking over Crescent Bay and out the Strait of Juan de Fuca.

My camp at Lake Ozette Campground, Olympic National Park.

No comments: