Friday, September 25, 2009

San Juan Cruise-Days 1 and 2

The ultimate goal for this cruise is to be in Bellingham on Sunday for a handicappers meeting and then be back to Edmonds next Saturday for a race. This means I have to return home on Wednesday. This is a quick trip!

After I had a routine dentist appointment, I got underway at about noon on Thursday. I motored to Boat Haven in Port Townsend and arrived about 1700. The currents were favorable and the winds not too strong. I had hoped to moor at the club reciprocal float, but it was full. Did walk to the Pt Hudson Marina at the other end of town.

I got under way at 0600 on Friday. Initially, the currents were adverse but became favorable after Smith Island. I put the main up and motorsailed, but never saw winds over nine knots. It was a quick trip, I arrived at 1115. Again, the reciprocal moorage was full. Friday Harbor was really busy with lots of Canadian boats leaving when I got in. TRhe sun has been out all day and it is very warm. One casulty is that I dropped the cell phone in the cat's water bowl. Oh well, it is past time for a new phone!


Track for Thursday from Brownsville to Port Townsend.
Track from Port Townsend to San Juan Channel on Friday.

And the final track from San Juan Channel to Friday Harbor.


Burrito wrapped in his Polar Fleece tortilla.

Smith Island, about halfway across the Strait of Juan de Fuca.

Port of Friday Harbor. Edit: This is like a Where's Waldo, only it is where is Great White? And I can pick it out in this mass of boats!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good blog on a successful trip. I have seen articles about how Smith Island is ready to be washed away. Nice to see that it is doing well and hasn't lost too much of its western shoreline since was past it many years ago.

Dan said...

Actually there has been a lot of erosion. There used to be buildings on the bluff and the bluff eroded away under them a few years ago. I am sure that the island will be there long after we are gone. I always wanted to go ashore there, but the regs prohibit it.

doug said...

Way to go, Burrito!