Tuesday, September 29, 2009

San Juans Cruise - Day 6

Left Jones Island at about 0840. The wind was blowing SW at between 15-20 knots. I sailed with the main and No.3 jib. This was a good combination. I vang sheeted and in tyhe higher gustsw played the main sheet. Pretty lumpy near Jones Island and then calmed near Friday Harbor.

Arrived in Friday Harbor abot 1005. Bought fuel and then found moorage at the reciprocal moorage. Yea free! Rainy today, but expected to clear some tomorrow.


Track for the day. About 6nm straight distance.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty good trip, a little wind and not much rain. Hopefully it will continue. Hopefully the cat has gained sea legs by now.

Dave and Ava said...

How do you blog? Do most moorages have WiFi? Must have. You don't have DirecTV on the top of that mast do you? ;-)
How are those track maps generated?
Best,
Dave and Ava in NYC

Dan said...

Dave
The larger marinas have a marine WIFI system that you can buy into for a few days or subscribe to. Very expensive. In Friday Harbor I go to a book store, buy a mocha and get free WIFI "for customers only".

No, no Direct TV on the boat. Hard to keep aimed anyway.

I link the boats GPS into the laptop. The laptop has charting software that generates the track. There is a point every .05 nautical mile. I do a screen shot of the completed track(and chart) and manipulate it into a JPG file, and post it. The GPS has it's own chart, but it is small. I can also download the track from the GPS if I don't want to leave the laptop on. The GPS also is linked to the autopilot and to instruments in the cockpit. Those instruments only give me "numbers" that tell me information to stay on course and analyze currents and performance.

I have been posting tracks for abuot 10 months.