Saturday, March 6, 2010

Hawaii Vacation- Day 4- Dormant Volcanoes

Today was another long day of driving. I left early drove back up Saddle Road between Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa. This time I took the road to the weather observatory on Mauna Loa. It is located at an elevation of 11150 feet. The road is one lane and paved, but being paved is a vague definition. It is very rough and full of potholes over most of the distance. It is about 16 miles to the weather observatory which is also the trailhead for a 3.8 mile hike to the crater.

I returned back to the Saddle Road and then went back up to the Mauna Kea Visitors Info Center. I joined the caravan to the summit that was lead by an astronomer. This tour was very informative as we first saw a video on the history of the observatories and then on the summit, our guide gave us good info on the various observatories on the summit. After he left us, I hiked the short distance to the true summit of the mountain. I was surprised that the climb did not leave me gasping for air!

It was rainy farther down the mountain and dark by the time I got back to Kona.


Looking at the observatories of Mauna Kea from Mauna Loa.
The weather observatory on Mauna Loa.

The drive through the lava fields of Mauna Loa.

More lava on Mauna Loa.

Visitors information at 9200 feet on Mauna Kea.

The observatories on Mauna Kea from the summit.

The true summit of Mauna Kea.

Summit of Mauna Kea.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fact that photos generally flatten out hills, the trail to the summit must have been quite steep.