Sunday, March 7, 2010

Hawaii Vacation- Day 5- Kohala District

Today I took a drive to the Kohalo District which is at the most northern tip of Hawaii. The road runs along the shoreline and from the north end of the island, the island of Maul can be seen.

I drove to the end of the road at Pololu where there is a lookout over the valley and the beach below. I hiked down the trail to the beach below, walked the beach and then climbed the 400 feet back up to the parking lot.

I drove across the Kohala Mountains which are the remains of the oldest volcano on the island. The area is mainly grasslands with many ranches. It is also arid enough that cactus grows here.

Returned to the hotel just before the skies opened and it rained for an hour.

Tomorrow I head home, but my flight does not leave until 2150, arrives in San Francisco early on tuesday.

Shoreline at Lapakahi State Historical Park

Lapakahi State Historical Park

Statue of King Kamehameha

Pololu Valley

Beach at Pololu Valley

View from Pololu Valley Lookout

Cactus on Kohala Mountains

No comments: