Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Off to Hawaii

In the morning I am heading off to Hawaii. Early morning ferry to Seattle, train to SeaTac, flight to San Francisco and then a final flight to Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii. I am all packed and ready to go. I cashed in some of my frequent flier miles for the flight, have reservations at a cheap hotel in Kona and have reserved a Jeep to get around.

So what are my plans? No.1 plan is to drive to the summit of Mauna Kea, the highest mountain on the island. If the roads are open, and I can plan it right on Saturday, there should be a caravan from the visitors center that will drive to the summit. They will also could allow access to one of the observatories on the summit.

My No.2 plan is to visit the national park at Kilauea. I have always wanted to see the lava fields and caldera. I have researched several short hikes to take.

The rest of my time I want to drive around the island, hike into some waterfalls, visit the historical parks, visit Hilo and just play tourist.

Just flying again will be fun and going through San Francisco airport is usually enjoyable. I have not flown for about 1-1/2 years. I don't mind flying long distances and this is nowhere near as long as I used to fly!

I intend to take a lot of pictures to prove I was there and will post some here and more on my Facebook page. I should return the night of March 8, but will probably post while I am gone.

3 comments:

Scott said...

Have fun Dan!

The O'Sheas said...

I proposed to Kris at SFO and we got married on Kaua'i. So, be careful!

;)

Dan said...

Greg
Not much chance of that happening!