Thursday, March 4, 2010

Hawaii Vacation-Days 1 and 2

I successfully made my journey to the Island of Hawaii in the county of Hawaii in the state of Hawaii.

I caught the 0720 ferry to Seattle and rode the new light rail to Seatac airport. The train worked really well. I had pre-checked in for the flight from home and it took me two minutes to get through security, so I had plenty of time for breakfast. The flights were good and on time. I checked in to the hotel and had a good night sleep.

This morning I was underway early and drove to the rainy, windward side. I noticed the big difference from the dry leeward side to the rainy, wet windward side. The vegetation on the leeward side is dry and desert like and the windward side is like lush jungle.

I drove to the Waipio Valley lookout, but did not drive down into the valley. Four wheel drive is required(which I have), but I wasn't sure what there was to see. I may go back. I then drove south toward Hilo, stopping at Akaka Falls and driving the "four mile scenic route". I stopped in Hilo and wandered through the farmers market and the shops along the waterfront.

I continued toward Kona over the Saddle Road. This road goes between Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa. It was being worked on and several miles were torn up. Since it was early, I decided to drive up Mauna Kea today. What an experience! The summit is 13796 ft above sea level and was above the rainy clouds. The Keck I viewing gallery was open, so I went inside for a look at the telescope. The gravel road was nowhere as severe as I was led to believe it would be. I will probably go for the guided tour on Saturday.

I got back to the hotel at about 1900. The good thing about where I am staying is that it is right on Alii Drive in the midst of the shops and restaurants.

Tomorrow will be the visit to the Kilauea volcano.

From the lookout above Waipio Valley.
Akaka Falls

Shoreline north of Hilo



The dusty drive up the gravel section.
Observatories on the summit of Mauna Kea.

13680 feet above sea level.


Inside the dome of Keck I looking up at the bottom of the 33ft mirror.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Busy day from the description. The Keck Observatory would be the highlight of many peoples trip to the island.