Sunday, July 12, 2009

Columbia River Ramblings-Part 4

When you last heard from me, I was using McWIFI to post Part 3. It is still Friday.

From Mc Donalds, I went to the local Harley store to see if they had a oil dipstick for the Uly(don't ask what happened). They did not, so I headed on my way to my destination for the night, Sun Lakes State Park.

I chose to ride out thru Hanford on Hiway 240. It was HOT. The temp was somewhere in the 90's. I don't know if it was the temp, but Ms TomTom (the GPS) locked up and had to be reset to operate again. It was even hotter when I was stopped for 20 minutes in a construction zone. The ride was neat as the terrain is nothing but sand and sagebrush. I continued up the Columbia River on 243 untill I arrived at I 90. I stopped at the rest stop across the river from Vantage and then continued east on I 90. I exited and headed north to Ephrata where I stopped for lunch and some more McWIFI.

I then continued north through Soap Lake and up to Sun Lakes State Park. I had reservations there and I fortunatly had selected a shady campsite as it was very HOT by the time I arrived. That night, the park sponsored a band that played 50's and 60's rock.

I was underway at 0630 Saturday on the way to the North Cascade Highway. I stopped at Dry Falls. Interesting that this falls was 400 feet high and 1500 feet wide, dwarfing Niagra Falls. I continued to Grand Coulee, bought gas and continued on Highway 174 toward Bridgeport and beyond.

The Columbia River where I90 crosses near Vantage.

Wild horses on the bluffs above the Columbia River.*

Sun Lakes. Dry Falls


Grand Coulee Dam







* They are sillouettes on the hill side. But, you probably guessed that!

1 comment:

Paige and Dave said...

Dry Falls, my favorite place in the state, childhood memory that I have revisited several times and it never fails to impress. Thanks for sharing; keep up the good work. Dave