Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Whidbey Island Rqace Week-Days 1 and 2

I am in Oak Harbor this week for the Whidbey Island Race Week. This is five days of racing in Penn Cove, often times referred as "Summer Camp For Adults". I got a ride on a C&C 41 named "Surt", owned by Mike and Chris. It is a lot of boat and not real suited for the short courses. We had a friendly crew of ten. As the new guy, I felt a little clumsy and unsure of myself. But as the races continued, we started meshing well.

The first day was a washout. We drifted around all day in grey, cool conditions. No races were run. I wondered about people who came from areas like California. I thought that they would be hating themselves by the end of the day.

Day 2 was completly differant. The sun was out and the wind came up. From the first start at noon, we ran three races between 6 and 8 miles. The winds blew as high as 12knots by the third race. We were probably had mid class finishes.


Jeff and Walter
Spinakers

Everyone working hard!


Kathleen relaxing after the last finish.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Hope you get some bug wind by the end of the week.--Gerry