Friday, July 10, 2009

Columbia River Ramblings-Part3

When you last heard from this travller, he was in Gresham, Or borrowing Mc WIFI. Today, he is also borrowing McWIFI in Kenniwick, WA.

Yesterday on my route up the Gorge, I rode the Historic Old Columbia River Road. This is a winding two lane road than runs along the edge of the Gorge above I84 on the Oregon side. This road is the access for Multnomah Falls and many of the trailheads along this part of the gorge. The drive was slow mainly because of the tourists. I stopped at "Vista House" that had a great view looking up toward Beacon Rock. I also stopped at Multnomah Falls and hiked up to the bridge. Too many people!

From there, I rode upstream to Cascade Locks and crossed the Bridge of the Gods to the Washington side. I camped at Maryhill State Park.

I was up early this morning and got underway. I stopped at "Stonehedge". This was a replica built by the railroad tycoon, Jim Hill. It was built aqs a memorial to the lost troops from the World War(WW1). The rest of the ride to Kenniwick was spectacular, EXCEPT for the bugs. My faceshield is severly splattered.

On to Sun Lakes State Park today.


Looking up the gorge, Vista House on the right. From Vista House

Multnomah Falls
Stonehedge


Stonehedge

4 comments:

doug said...

Home Depot must have made out good on that project.

Anonymous said...

James Hill was quite developer, built the columbia Stonehenge (as a memorial to WWI), Mary Hill (for his wife) and the first all weather road between Portland and the Mary Hill area allowing people to visit.

Good info keep it up.

The O'Sheas said...

Great pictures. And a nice ride. We live in Portland and do the trip on our Harley occasionally. Does get crowded, though.

I was trying to figure out where you were when I read "Visitors House" and then realized that you were at the Vista House. I think the best view of the gorge is from the Women's Forum pullout (which it looks like you found), since it's a bit higher than Vista House and it includes Vista House in your view.

We want to check out Maryhill later this summer, too. Heard there are good wineries up that way, too.

Dan said...

Greg and Kris
Vista House, thanks I fixed it. I guess I was getting a little rummy when I was there. And, yes, the Women's Forum viewpoint was great.