Sunday, July 12, 2009

Columbia River Ramblings-Part5

When I last posted, I had just filled up with gas at Grand Coulee and was headed toward Bridgeport, Brewster and on to the North Cascade Highway over Washington Pass.

The road to from Grand Coulee to Bridgeport always seems lonely and long. It runs through fields, range and nothing. There was very few cars. Once again, the temp was rising. At Brewster I stopped and had Mc Breakfast. Then on to the Pateros where I turned right into the Methow Valley. I forgot how nice this road is. A good speed limit and nice sweeping curves made this road a pleasure to ride. I stopped in Winthrop and wandered through some of the shops. There are good outdoor/sporting goods stores there. Winthrop was rebuilt with a cowboy theme and has become a bit of a "destination" with the outdoor activities and lodges there. Lots of motorcyclists were there.

After Winthrop I continued on toward Washington Pass. Again the road is in great shape. And again not a lot of traffic going my way, well that was until I started down the west side. There was a lot of motorcycles heading east. The sky was clear and the mountains were spectacular. Heading down the west side, I got behind some slow trailers. After a while I found a clear section and got around them. That was when the fun started! The road gets winding above Ross Lake. Mr Ulysess does like to corner! I stopped at Newhalem for some ice cream. I was also camping in the national park campground at Newhalem. This was the only day when I felt that I could continue as it was only 1430.

On Sunday I was underway at 0700. Since it had been so hot the day before, I did not put on the leather riding pants. That was OK until I got to Burlington. Then the mist started. It continued until I got to Oak Harbor.

I stopped in Oak Harbor to try to find people I knew at the marina. Whidbey Island Race Week starts monday and I am crewing on a boat. I could not find him, but did talk to others that I know.

I continued on to the Keystone-Port Townsend ferry. While on the ferry, I put on the riding pants. Good thing I did, it started raining as soon as I got off the ferry and most of the way home.

This was the longest ride I had ever made at 1155 miles. I only averaged around 200 miles a day. Except for one day, that seemed to fill the day up. I guess I like to stop and sightsee instead of riding all day.


The "sidewalks" of Winthrop. It has been built with a cowboy theme.


Upper Methow Valley.

Mountains near Washington Pass.


Diablo Lake.

Deception Pass, Whidbey Island.

Port Townsend ferry. All the other bikes are Canadian, eh!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

200 miles per day seems about right unless you are trying to go somewhere on a time limit. Looking at the photo on the ferry the other motorcycles look very large in comparison, you made a good choice on which one to buy. Still waiting to hear the dipstick episode.

Dan said...

At about 470 pounds, my motorcycle is probably several hundred pounds lighter than any of the others in the photo.

I broke off the "stick" portion of the dipstick from the plug portion that screws into the oil tank. I was suprised how flimsy it was. Only cost $6 for a new one. That is a suprise too(how cheap it is).